What is Bulldog Chocolate Poisoning?
Dogs, and even cats, are not allowed to eat chocolate. It is toxic! However, if your bulldog just ate one, do not panic, you can handle Bulldog chocolate poisoning. This article will guide you through.
Dogs, similar to humans, may develop the taste for foods that can harm their bodily systems. Consumption of these foods leads to food poisoning. Chocolate poisoning refers to an accidental or intentional instant when your bulldog eats chocolate. A chemical referred to as Theobromine is present in chocolate and can trigger seizures, high blood pressure or elevated heart rates. When your bulldog eats chocolate, you have to treat him immediately because the more chocolate he eats, the more there is in the body system, the higher the number of complications likely to happen.
How can I see if my Bulldog has Chocolate Poisoning?
It’s possible to tell if your dog is suffering from chocolate poisoning. The signs depicted are determined by the type and amount of chocolate eaten. The common clinical signs that your bulldog is likely to depict include restlessness or panting, diarrhea, vomiting, excessive urination, increased thirst, and a racing heart.
In extreme cases, heart failure, seizures and muscle tremors can be seen. The case may even be traumatic, including sudden death, when older bulldogs eat high quality dark chocolate.
The prognosis of chocolate poisoning can be worsened by complications such as the emergence of aspiration pneumonia due to vomiting.
It is important to understand that clinical signs for chocolate poisoning may take hours to show and go on for a couple of days. This is because Theobromine has a long half-life. Re-absorption of the chemical can eve take place through the bladder, hence you will need frequent walks that lead to increased urination.
Shall I see a vet if my Bulldog has Chocolate Poisoning?
You do not necessarily have to physically go to the veterinarian. A phone could be all that you need. When you discover that your bulldog has accidentally eaten chocolate, get to action right away. Begin by determining the amount of chocolate ingested and the type as well. This is the information that you’ll provide to your vet so that you can be directed further. Your vet will give you some home emergency care tips that can mean a difference between life and death for your bulldog.
The vet being far from you, make sure that you induce vomiting. After your bulldog eats chocolate, he may involuntarily start to throw up. However, if he doesn’t, you will have to try and make that happen. A teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide can help with Bulldog chocolate poisoning.
What can I feed my Bulldog that has Chocolate Poisoning?
Staying hydrated is a key requirement for your bulldog after chocolate poisoning. Make him drink more water for this will help him urinate more, getting rid of Theobromine. Give him some of the following foods:
- Mix some charcoal with canned food (this encourages vomiting)
- Egg whites
- Peanut butter
- Plain potatoes
After the poisoning is over you can feed him some of these foods to ensure his recovery:
Conclusion: Seeing your bulldog develop complications from eating chocolate can be stressful. Avoid this by checking whatever he eats. You should also train him not to accept foods from strangers.